Monday, March 19, 2012

Response to Matt Diaz's "Series of Omissions"

Matt-

Your short story is an obituary for Norman O'Connor, but it is more like someone was writing the rough draft of the obituary and couldn't decide how to say what they wanted to the right way.  

I think the story is so cool, especially the way that it comes off as a rough draft.  It is so telling of a person what people want to say about them at their funeral.  It was an effective strategy on your part because you really kept the tension high.  This man was not someone who was all good or all bad which makes for a great, realistic character.  I loved all of the personal details that this allowed you to insert as well, with the wife and kids.

Two things I noticed, when you are talking about the wife and the fur coat, I got mixed up in all of the "he"s and "she"s to where I couldn't tell who was doing what.  Second, there are a few places where there are typos like words not included that probably should be there.  

I really enjoyed the description in your story and your ability to produce a believable character and also a narrator that is torn over their feelings about Mr. O'Connor.  It is incredible that no information about the speaker is given but I am so satisfied with the information given.

Awesome job!

No comments:

Post a Comment